Soundboard crown

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 11:23:19 -0400

Hi Del,

re carbon fiber:

> Yes. (It doesn't behave as much like wood as I'd like and I've not studied
> it as much as I'd like.)

Yes, I just finished reading the sound blurb on the Rain Song guitar site.
Very interesting and informative.  It would appear that carbon fiber -- and
steel -- are so efficient at higher frequencies that they do not resemble
the very inefficient material, wood.  Is that the problem, as you see it?
The steel piano I heard was not percussive *enough* in the treble, and so it
didn't sound like "a piano."  The unpianolike properties I heard roughly
correspond to the frequency-dependent attenuation properties discussed on
the Rain Song site.

Peace,
Sarah