More on soundboard crown

Avery Todd avery@ev1.net
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 19:19:51 -0500

Hi Ron,

I know I'm opening myself up to "broadsides" here but I want to make a couple
of comments about what you said.

>My general impression is that this isn't important to more than a handful of
>people on the list, and I find that disturbing.

I don't think it's a matter of it not being important, I think it's
a matter of a lot of it being so far "beyond" most of us, that we don't
know what to say about it or how to deal with it. It's obviously
important to all of us how the piano sounds, how the soundboard lasts
and what repairs we might have to make to it sometime in the future.

In my case, my primary interest and expertise is tuning, regulating and
voicing. It's not that I'm not interested in what you "guys" are saying,
it's just that I have very little experience with it and am not set up
to even try to learn to do most of what you and others interested in
that, talk about.

You, and others, may also be interested in and very good at, doing the
things I'm interested in, also. It's just that a lot of us have never
had the opportunity to get deeply involved in extensive soundboard work,
like you, Del, John, and others have.

I don't mean this frivolously, at all but in some ways, it all boils down
to "different strokes for different folks". People like me rely on people
like you to experiment, to try and improve things, stir up the waters
sometimes, etc.

I hope this makes some kind of intelligent sense. I almost didn't write
it but I obviously changed my mind. :-) I have been stewing over it for
almost 30 minutes, though.

Avery

P.S. Please be kind. :-) Unlike some times in the past, I thought about this
a good bit before I sent it.