More on soundboard crown

Fri, 15 Aug 2003 09:51:08 +0200

Robin Hufford wrote:

> Hello Richard,
>      I reproduce due to a lack of time part of a recent private email concerning the
> subject of soundboards, the reliance placed upon the five lectures, which, I think it
> is well known that I disagree to some extent with, and the new study which you
> provided me last year by Giordano.  I think it important for those who wish to make an
> effort at this complicated subject to be aware of  the new study.

Thanks Robin for throwing this into the mesh. I am glad you found the Giordano publication
of interest. The dissagreement reflected by the contrasting views of his own and those
evident in the 5 lectures, and other such differeing perspectives go well to underline who
thin our so called knowledge about the physics of pianos really is. It is refreshing to
know tho, that the academic discussion on that level that continues parallell with our own
discussions on this list, do so with a great deal of respect for each other. This despite
the fact that these exact dissagreements go very roughly along the same lines apparent in
our own forum.

I maintain tho, that the 5 lectures should be a must read for any technician wanting more
insight into the physics of pianos. That, and the Benade book are very good places to
start.

Cheers

RicB

--