Installing stage truck

pbmosley mosley@idir.net
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:51:42 -0500

From: "Elwood Doss Jr." <edoss@charter.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2003 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: Installing stage truck

Behalf Of pbmosley
>   Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 8:25 PM
>   To: pianotech@ptg.org
>   Subject: Installing stage truck
>

>   I have been a lurker on the list for years but never contributed. The
information is very thorough, but I did feel like I had something to add on
jacks.  I have a machinist that has helped me with the idea and have a few
of these jacks.  I have taken a Fulton screw jack, like you would see on a
boat trailer, cut the wheel off and put a plate on the bottom.  Then just
take a small pipe and plate and weld to the top, put a chair leg rubber end
on it and it stays fine.   I think the overall height is about 21".  It's
been awhile, just make sure that your jack handle will turn when it is under
the piano.  It is the slickest thing I have ever seen for this.  It just
takes one jack and a couple of pieces of 2X4.  No lifting, no hassles, great
for leg repair.  Stick it under the piano and crank a couple of turns, it is
all one piece and very easy to carry, takes up almost no room in the truck,
and lifts 2000 lbs.

>   Phil Mosley
>
>   worn out string puller
>

>            Phil,
>
>               Thanks for your contribution, but I'm having trouble
visualizing this setup.

>               `Possible pictures to illustrate?
>
>               Thanks,
>
>               Tom Driscoll
>

>   Sorry that the picture took so long.  The jack originally had a wheel on
it that was cut off.  A cap was put on the top and pipe welded to it.  The
cap on the top is to be able to grease the gear inside.  That was welded
over because the jack will not be used outside and there is really no reason
to grease it.  A pipe was welded to that, it is really simple and works
fantastic, just make sure that your pipe on top is long enough to be able to
crank that handle as it is under the piano.  The handle rises with the jack
as you turn it up.  I have a machinist that would love to make a bunch of
these if there would be any interest.