damper felts too wide

Larry P. Trischetta ltpianoman@adelphia.net
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 04:45:27 -0400 (Eastern Daylight Time)

--------------Boundary-00=_RZEPLVC0000000000000
 =0D
"Anything below the string line at rest is not damping."=0D
=0D
I always thought that the felt absorbs the sound energy, so more felt mas=
means better damping... therefore, isn't the felt below the string line
damping?? Or is the amount negligible, making it OK to cut the felt to th=
string line? Are "at rest" the key words here? And why! =0D
Larry Trischetta=0D
Pocono NE chapter =0D
 =0D
-------Original Message-------=0D
 =0D
From: Pianotech=0D
Date: Wednesday, August 13, 2003 16:36:56=0D
To: Pianotech=0D
Subject: Re: damper felts too wide=0D
 =0D
At 04:11 PM 8/13/2003 -0400, Ed wrote:=0D
>Tom asks:=0D
><< Some possibilities in my=0D
>feeble mind include:=0D
> 1. Using sandpaper to file them.=0D
> 2. I don't think I could razor blade them neatly enough...=0D
> 3. Ironing them...?=0D
> 4. Squeezing them with a pliers.=0D
> 5. Alcohol and a heat gun.=0D
> 6. Just a gun. (Aimed at my right temple. That'll stop those bass=0D
>strings from ringing!) >>=0D
>=0D
>The work is action removal and damper removal, why not just glue on some
new=0D
>damper felt??????????=0D
 =0D
I concur. However, I've gotten similar dampers to work (more or less) by=0D
trimming outside of the "ears", the parts which are spreading, with a sma=
ll=0D
sharp=0D
pair of scissors, so that they are pointed, and a little bit shorter.=0D
Anything below the string line at rest is not damping.=0D
 =0D
Sometimes the trimming can be done in the piano, though of course it's=0D
easier to be neat with the damper in one's hand.=0D
 =0D
A gun is not a piano tool. <grin>=0D
 =0D
Susan=0D