"Put a plug in it"

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 12:05:05 -0400

Hi Bob,

You are right -- total noise exposure.  There's a tradeoff between dB =
SPL and total duration of noise exposure.  Lower noise levels can be =
tolerated for longer periods.  Very high noise levels can be tolerated =
only briefly.  It's all laid out by OSHA at the following URL:

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/noisehearingconservation/index.html

Somewhere amongst all their documentation is a handy table of dB SPL vs. =
duration of exposure.

Peace,
Sarah
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Bob Hull=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, August 16, 2003 11:43 AM
  Subject: Re: "Put a plug in it"

  Isn't it not only the level of dbs but the duration of the sound that =
is important in causing damage to your hearing?  There is a cumulative =
effect on your ears. For instance their is a length of time that you can =
withstand the sound level of a lawnmower per day before hearing damage =
is likely.  I always wear hearing protection to mow, run the leafblower =
and many things in the shop.   Since the length of the sound we hear at =
100 dbs or so is short while tuning I wonder if the cumulative effect is =
enough to damage our hearing. =20

  Bob Hull

  Richard Oliver Snelson <rsnelson@bwsys.net> wrote:

    I did some sound level measurements on several pianos in my shop =
this
    week. The DB meter was held at about the distance my ear would be =
from
    the strings and soundboard. Using solid rather strong blows I =
measured
    sound levels well over 100 dbs on both grands and uprights.=20

    What started this was the testing trick with the fingers that =
someone
    mentioned a few weeks ago. For the last year I've had problems =
setting
    the unisons on G7. Having to turn my head to focus and hear them. =
Turns
    out I've got quite a bit of hearing loss at that frequency and =
above, in
    my left ear. Turning my head allowed me to compensate for it with =
the
    better right ear. At 67 years old, I'm not too surprised at the loss =
in
    my left ear. However I'm sure that it's come on quite quickly. =
Several
    hours a day pounding out tunings has made it worse. As a result I'm =
not
    ! only carrying ear plugs, I'm using them. I tell the customer they =
help
    to filter out noise that I don't need to hear. I do take them out of =
my
    ears when I reach the last octave, for the unisons there. There =
seems to
    be a difference in the brightness of the sound when taking the plugs =
out
    at that time. I'm sure it's a result of not having the previous 45 =
mins
    to 1 hr of 100 db plus sound levels thumping on my eardrums.=20

    I thought you might like to know about the 100 db plus levels...
    Regards to all. Rich