Rebuilding Shop Update

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Sat, 16 Aug 2003 23:55:19 -0700

An update on the construction of the rebuilding shop...

Whew!  Spent the entire day painting the exterior.  Lace textured =
stucco, very porous.  We are using elastimeric paint, a hard yet =
flexible water sealing paint designed specifically for this purpose.  =
The cost: $100 per 5 gallon bucket times 6 buckets!!  They say it =
reliably lasts 20 years so I guess it's worth it.

I have a neighbor who is a retired professional painter.  He loans me =
his big pro machine with a gas powered engine and a half mile of hose.  =
I get one side done, (10' wall times 62.5 feet), and then the machine =
dies.  Hell trying to clean it!  With it not working I had to force 120 =
PSI compressed air through the hose to force out all the remaining =
paint, (and return it to the bucket, every drop is gold at that price).  =
Lucky thing the threaded fittings on the compressor happened to be the =
same as the sprayer hose.

Plan "B", the Home Depot rental center.  Picked up another professional =
sprayer, very nice.  With amazing speed we whizzed around the building.  =
The job looks fabulous but we ran out of paint at the very end, probably =
400 Sq. Ft to go.  Had to clean up the whole machine just to dirty it up =
again tomorrow for 15 minutes of spraying!  Oh well, it looks great and =
it's a fun machine to use.

We have probably 1 hour of labor remaining to complete the fiberglass =
insulation.  I have had it with the itching!  Monday we have an =
inspection on that after which we can proceed with drywall.  then we get =
another adventure with mud and taping, sanding, texturing, and then =
painting.

One day... yes one day there will actually be pianos in this building!!

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV