measuring dB levels

DIANE HOFSTETTER dianepianotuner@msn.com
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 11:31:26 -0800

>From: "Avery Todd" <avery@ev1.net> To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
>Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 17:20:36 -0500 Subject: Re: "Put a plug in it"

>Don,

>Thanks for the link. Has anyone ever measured the db levels in a practice
>room with a pianist playing Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, etc.?

Hi Avery,

Not yet, but I now have two docimeters that measure the noise dose a person
is exposed to over a 24 hour period.

Last weekend I measured the exposure that Ken Medema was receiving at the
Baldwin SD-10 during his concert at Mt. Hermon Christian Conference Center.
The 2 hour concert gave him 15% of an allowable noise dose at 80dB, 13% at
90dB. There were no peaks over 115dB.  Sitting in the 5th row center, I
received only 5% at 80dB and 1% at 90dB.  But it sure sounded loud to me and
I wore my earplugs for comfort.

I am hoping a friend who tunes at the university here will wear a docimeter
for me soon.
Diane

I'm pushing for carpet in the piano major practice rooms and just
wanted some "ammunition"! :-)

Avery