"Put a plug in it"

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:09:10 -0400

Hi Cy,

> Any advice for ear protection devices?

Not a clue.  I think your colleagues would have a much better idea what
works than I would.

I've used gun-range hearing protectors before, while working with noisy
equipment.  They're not really that expensive, and they do a pretty good
job.  However, they're not all that comfortable.  The cheapo little foam
jobbies are considerably more comfortable but less effective -- but they're
not bad for what they are.  I've never used anything exotic.

A much more exotic approach that might be good for filtering out extraneous
noise and attenuating sound from the piano, while simultaneously impressing
the customer, might be to use some of those active, noise-eliminating
headsets.  Use a contact microphone for your sound pickup, and feed either
through a computer (for you ET enthusiasts) or a small amp (for you by-ear
tuners), connected to the headsets.  Customer asks, "Why the headsets?"  A:
"Better to hear the subtle details of the sound from your piano, m'dear."

Wish I had more good advice for you.  I think the others have made some good
recommendations.

Peace,
Sarah