"Put a plug in it"

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:37:49 -0500

> > Good observation. That tends to go away eventually as your hammer
>technique
> > improves and you learn to stop tuning past the point of diminishing
>returns
> > and move on.
>
>I gather.  I'm never quite sure how much I can err, so I obsess over getting
>it as close as I can.

The best thing I found was to forget about perfect and throw the tuning at
the piano on a dead run. Keep moving, quickly, even if you're not
satisfied. Don't even slow down to split those hairs. Hurry, hurry. Get
close, first judgement, then move on. Now! Quit picking on it. Go!

When you get done, check it carefully. You'll be surprised how close it is.
Much better than your impression of how you were doing when you were in the
throes of tuning. Remember and learn from the experience, and repeat as
necessary. We spend more time talking ourselves out of our tuning than we
do installing it when we're new. You have to get past that as soon as
possible and get on to the real aggravations.

> > Another case of what we think we hear being what we actually hear after
> > filtering through our expectations and experience.
>
>I'll probably never have the experienced ear of a tuner, but I've become
>keenly atuned to sound features in my research, picking out features that
>others don't even hear.  It does seem to boil down to experience.

Experience, certainly, but also approach. Be aware of and adjust the
squelch from time to time. There's more in front of you than you need, and
you have to first learn to perceive it, then edit for content - just like
everything else.

Ron N