test blows

Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:22:15 +0200

Dave Nereson wrote:

> I've heard stories that Franz Mohr used extremely hard test blows when
> tuning.  Of course, I've also heard that his tunings were rock-solid
> stable.  There seems to be a correlation here.
>
> Any further comments?
>
> Corte Swearingen
> Chicago

Not my experience. He had a one day seminar in Seattle a few years back and his description of tuning, tho a very short segment in what was essentially a voicing class, pointed more in the direction of a few solid blows, not overdone and with emphasis placed on hammer technique.

Further... there are lots of tuners that get rock solid tunings, and these from a wide variety of tuning techniques. I think its more a matter of individual experience with how whatever technique gets you to the point where you know the darn thing isnt going to move.

RicB

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.