test blows

Tompiano@aol.com Tompiano@aol.com
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 05:50:39 EDT

I found myself helping out with a "beginning" tuning class at our state
convention. It was one of those classes which could have gone many different
directions. The topic came up about stable tunings...what does it mean. Thus the
whole idea of stability came down to the essentials of good hammer/string
control.
The way I interpret it is, it's not only  a matter of good hammer control,
nor is it only a matter of test blows, but more importantly it is how the two
work together. Sort of a yin and yang.
The hammer is putting the directional  torque on the pin while the test blow
is pulling the slack out of any access string movement. The 2 are working
together.
Test blows at times, due to excessive drag on the string due to design
situations or newer strings, must be more firmer to take out all of the slack.
However the majority of instruments don't require as much.
If you have an opportunity to observe a good concert tuner you'll quickly
realize that pin movement is reduced to the minimum amount. Test blows to set
that small pin movement are reduced as well.
That being said, if one has poor hammer technique and cannot move the pin in
extremely tiny increments, than more firmer test blows will be required in
order to settle all of the energy out of the string.
Learn to work smart...not hard.
Tom Servinsky