big ol' Chickering

James Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 19 Aug 2003 14:49:28 -0400

Today I was called out to a local state hospital to "tune a piano."
Seems all the pianos there were purchased at the time of the hospital
complex's construction: 1855! This one is an 8' 9" Chickering concert
grand. Some time ago (I'm guessing 30 or more years ago) the hammers
were replaced. Several missing bass strings, and several very poorly
installed "universal" bass strings. Aside from the missing & poorly
matched bass strings, the main headache is the damper flanges: glued
in, not screwed in. A half dozen manage to function anyway, but a
couple are completely dead. Others wiggle a bit -- just waiting to fall
apart later.
While I left an estimate for replacing the missing & bad bass strings,
and reglueing 6-8 damper flanges, now that I'm home, back in a
comparatively "rational" environment I'm coming back to my senses --
the best thing to do is give them a price for a (subcontracted)
complete remanufacturing. That will never happen, but they need to know
(yeah I *told* my contact person but I need to document it). Or perhaps
just do a complete overhaul on the damper system -- anybody out there
retrofit one of those Renner back actions in one of these??
When I inquired about expected usage one of replies was "One of the
patients performed at Carnegie Hall!" Perhaps, but it has since
occurred to me that another patient may be "Napoleon" and yet another
considers himself to be God.
PS Have any of y'all done a complete remanufacture on one of these in
recent years? While I don't doubt the results could be impressive the
resale value to remanufacturing cost ratio must be a hard sale.
Rambling again,
Patrick