test blows, unisons, intervals

Jlmatt@aol.com Jlmatt@aol.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 01:43:50 EDT

> As a general rule, if unisons go out it's your technique, if the intervals
> >go out while the unisons stay solid, it's the environment.  There are, of
> >course, always mitigating factors

the other day I was called back on a piano I had tuned at the end of June.
Several unisons were way off. I know that the humidity level changed
drastically. (The owners went away for a month leaving the piano in a very hot house,
came back and turned on the evaporative cooler) What surprised me though is that
of the 8 or 9 trichords I adjusted it was always the right string that was
off, the lower pins in other words. The whole piano was sharp of course but the
intervals were pretty much ok except for one octave in the bass.
So what do you think is it my technique? is it because the right strings are
shorter that they behave differently? Do you use a different technique for the
left and right strings?
the piano is a Yamaha U1

Jean-Luc Matton