Yamaha sustain pedal knock

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 16:41:38 +0200

Clyde Hollinger wrote:

> Friends,
>
> Two weeks ago I tuned a 1980 Yamaha G3 grand piano.  I detected a slight
> knocking sound when releasing the sustain pedal.  Since the sound seemed
> to come from the pedal box, I took it apart to see what I could see.
>
> There appears to be a little more play between the pedal pin and the
> hole in the pedal dowel, which appeared to be made of teflon or some
> similar material.  That is certainly not a part that I keep in stock, so
> I put things back together and informed the church of what I found.
> They got back to me and want the knock eliminated (not all my clients
> respond this way).
>
> Now my questions:
>
> 1.  How does one get that pedal dowel out?  Is it glued in?  It looks
> *very* tight, and I don't want to beat everything up.

It pulls out fairly easily... you might need to pry it gently.  I run into
this problem on Yamahas from time to time... but only when they are subject
to very hard (for not to say abusive) pedal use. I found that if you place a
wedge under the pedal box so that there is no play between the underside of
the box and the floor, that this helps the lyre assembly and all its parts
to hold up better under such use.

> 2.  Where does one get the part?  Contact Yamaha, or are there better
> options?

You can actually make a replacement out of wood. Order from Yamaha if you
want the origional replacement.

> 3.  Is there some other good fix that doesn't involve getting a new part
> and might be less trouble and labor?

See above.

> Thanks,
> Clyde Hollinger, RPT