overcentering justified?

Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:25:22 +0200

Hi Bob...

Whilst I understand the usual this and that's about conversions and
whatnots.... and I dont mean really criticize or anything... it would be
nice if you stuck to either inches or mm for all your measurements...
gets a bit confusing especially when reading replies with quotes.

I took the liberty of converting them and  inserting in your reply. You
changed the bore by just barely under 3 mm and you got

Bob Hull wrote:

> David,
>
> The old hammers with the bore distance of 48 mm had a blow of 44.5mm
> and a dip of 11.11 mm to a 10.31mm.  Let off was very close, just
> backed down enough to not block, drop was a little much - 6.35 mm or
> more on some.  It plays well and  repeats well with this regulation.
> I do not want the dip to be that much with the new hammers, and I want
> the drop to be tiny.

Looks to me like you could have first lowered your blow abit and
regulated key dip to around 10 most places... but that's quite the
variance in dip you show... not knowing how much aftertouch variance
there was makes it a bit hazy to guess at.. but I would suppose that
more or less matched the variance in dip. Drop was way to much... and
couple with a deep dip suggests to me that both the drop screws were
regulated to low and that there wasn't a whale of a lot of aftertouch.
If let off was reasonably close to 1.5 mm at the same time then
something doesn't seem right. I mean... you had standard D bore
length... short blow distance, deep keydip..... at yet little aftertouch
for standard let off... Perhaps its just that the drop screw was screwed
down so low that real aftertouch is hard to read into this scenario. If
on the other hand you had good aftertouch and very close setoff.. you
could had probably just regulated closer to specs and came out just
fine.

Hard in anycase to understand the need to go to a near 51 mm bore
distance from this perspective. Having the hammers at exactly 90 degrees
to the shank, while at the same time having the shank parallel to the
strings is not necessarily a big << musto >> but if you are going to
first insure this, then there are a few things you need to insure first
before you decide what bore length you need to make that work. David
Love covered that well enough including the ref to Bob Hohfs article
series.

As the thread deals with overcentering... you can allow yourself a
couple two three degrees of freedom with the rake of the hammer to
achieve a perpedicular to string plane impact angle for the hammer
itself. Unless that also means that the shank is very far from level it
shouldnt be a real big problem.

Just a few thoughts... I havent followed the thread real close so excuse
both the intrusion and whatever I may have missed along the way

Cheers
RicB