beckets

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 19:13:28 -0700

Here's something even weirder, Terry. I was prepping a Samick  ( =
co-incidence?  Hhmm......)  once, got it all tuned up after first a =
pitch raise, took a break and came back to find a wire buzzing on the =
next string. It looked like someone had cut the string, but it was still =
coiled on the tuning pin end, although it was sitting in between the =
other tuning pins.=20
The becket had pulled out. I replaced the string.=20
Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Farrell=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 4:38 PM
  Subject: Re: beckets

  Speaking of beckets........

  Tuned a Samick console today and when checking the tuning I had just =
completed, noticed G#6 unison was bad - right string flat. Figured I =
simply missed turning that one. So I cranked on the pin and it wouldn't =
sharpen. Oops - do I have my lever on the wrong pin? Nope. Crank a =
little more and BANG. Oh shoot, did I break the string? Nope. The string =
popped out of the becket! I guess it creeping out is what caused the =
string to go flat. That was a first for me.

  Terry Farrell