Dope needs dope dope

Keith Roberts kpiano@goldrush.com
Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:58:30 -0700

MessageFrom what Eric Shandel (sp ?) the S&S tech said at a convention =
class, lacquer solution is the desired hardener. I think the desired =
strength is 1/3 to 1/5, depending on the hammer and the desired effect.=20
You load the plastic squeeze bottle/ hypo oiler and place the tip about =
a 1/4" lower than the strike point, and fill the hammer. All the way to =
the top so the strike point even starts to color. If this this is too =
bright, a squirt of acetone will wash the lacquer down into the hammer. =
He used the plastic keytop solution as a final brightener on individual =
strings.
S&S are cold pressed hammers like Ronsons. Give Dale Erwin a call, 209 =
577 8397, or email if they are Ronsons. He uses a lot of them. I'll be =
in his shop tomorrow too. I might be doing just what we are talking =
about. I tried to leave on Tuesday with  about 3 hours worth of work =
left on an action reg and a 'see you next week'  and he twisted my arm a =
little to finish it up.=20
He said "The last person that worked for me did that to me too and left =
it at this stage. (Whine) Now's the point when you need to take it to =
the next level and refine the reg,    ( dampers included ) then pull the =
pitch up  settle and level the strings, tune it, then you can voice it." =

The picture of myself in the high eastern Sierras, sitting next to a =
creek in the hot springs held strong for a second or two as I struggled =
with the knowledge that he was right.=20
Well, call if you want. If they are a tensioned or hot pressed hammer, =
pound on them, with a hammer. Give 'em five. They need to wake up.=20
Keith Roberts

  ----- Original Message -----=20