Blocks & Beckets, was:Duplicated block

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 06:28:53 -0400

Waddaya mean "where I git the piks?" In me shop, ya dummy! Cancha reed! =
Ya callin me a lyer?

This local guy brought me his family's 1875 Knabe square grand with the =
goal of making it function. My guess is that Knabe did not string the =
piano like this, so apparently is was restrung some 50+ years ago. =
Everything else is original and worn as is typical. During the initial =
inspection at his home I spent at least a half hour trying to convince =
him to not spend a penny on the piano - or to go all the way and dump =
$10K to $15K into it. But nope, "everything is just fine with it, its =
just the few keys that don't work, and, and, and, and.....". Then I told =
him that common sense told me to walk away from this kind of work. He =
told me I came highly recommended and didn't want to go elsewhere. Then =
I spent a half hour telling him all about the theory of "opening a can =
or worms" and that anything that doesn't look quite right now, will =
inevitably be ten times worse when I dig into it. He said that was OK. I =
did a car analogy with a 1915 model T (the worn out '66 Dodge Dart just =
wouldn't even come close). Didn't phase him. I figured a reasonable =
estimate might be $500 to $1,000 to fix the loose tuning pins (oval), =
tune it, and fix the few broke keys. So I told him I'll charge by the =
hour and that my honest guess is that I can make it function like an old =
worn out piano (hit key, make noise) for something under $2,000 with NO =
guarantees. He said OK and him and his six burly sons and grandsons =
showed up at my shop the next day with the piano.

"It's always something!"

Square grands are great! ('Course I haven't dug into this thing =

Terry Farrell
 =20
----- Original Message -----=20