beckets

Jim Parker jhparker@rose.net
Thu, 21 Aug 2003 11:43:47 -0400

I meant manufacturers when I said stop.  If its done carefully and correctly
it shouldn't cause problems other than the removal of the string for
replacement and thats not enough to drive me over the edge.  Maybe I'm not
paying enough attention but as far as I know I've never had a becket creep
out.  If they're tight I don't think it is a problem.  How many pianos have
you tuned that 6 months or a year later barely need a touch up?  Lots of the
better ones I'll bet. That's been my experience.  Couldn't happen if beckets
not pushed through and bent over were a problem.  Just my opinion.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Nossaman" <RNossaman@cox.net>
To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 21, 2003 10:35 AM
Subject: Re: beckets

>I have never liked the practice.  IMHO it does nothing to enhance stability
>and cause several problems.  Mainly, if the bent over lenght is slightly
>high it makes it hard to get the hammer on tightly.  I have even had my
>hammer somehow get caught on the waste end and want to stay on the pin.
>Don't know just how but its a fact.  I toured the Wurlitzer factory long
ago
>in Holly Springs Ms. and they had just started doing this.  Baldwin was not
>at the time.  I think Baldwin may have picked it up from them when they
>bought them out.  Wish everyone who does it would STOP.

I sure don't do this when stringing, but I do with individual replacements
for a couple of reasons. I get a tighter bend at the becket the first time,
and better control winding the coil on the pin. I've never had the becket
creep out on a replacement since I started doing this (which is why I
originally did the first one this way), and I leave a clear indication to
anyone who looks that the string has been replaced. "I thought you replaced
that string last time, why does it keep breaking?" No ma'am, it was the one
next to it, see? And see all these others that have been replaced in this
section? Maybe it's about time to...

Ron N