What matters most ?

Susan Kline skline@peak.org
Sat, 23 Aug 2003 17:36:46 -0700

At 09:59 AM 8/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>If the driven portion is lighter than the driver, there is the good chance
>in some circumstances that he top action will "fly away" from the key.
>(Have you ever had a pianist talk about "fly-away" hammers?)

Yes, I have heard pianists talk about that, and I think it is more common
than we care to notice.

We work so hard on minimizing touchweight that the hammer centers often
have so little friction that they are barely controllable even when they
are first put on. Then the piano sees heavy use for a few years ... and the
springs are still as firm as they started ... the hammers swing 14 times
when you take them off the rail ...

There are fly-away dampers, as well. Anyone heard pianists complain about
"dancing dampers"? If the damper upstop rail gets driven upward because the
right pedal doesn't have any kind of stop block, dampers can jump all over
the place, and their arrival back on the key ends can be felt and is quite
annoying.

Susan