Big Bushings/Ron Nossaman

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 11:11:52 -0500

>That would work, ONLY if the stock was cut to the proper thickness and the
>holes were drilled all the way through.
>
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
>Captain, Tool Police
>Squares Are I
>
>Joe
>The splintering nor the stock thickness would matter because the bushings
>will be cut to the proper length with the bandsaw leaving the splintered
>bottoms in the scrap.
>
>Paul C

And there's no reason the center holes couldn't be drilled through, making
multiple passes with the plug cutter to the depth necessary to make the
bushing on each pass. The plug cutter can cool down some while you saw off
and chase down that batch of bushings. A once over with a belt sander and
countersink the center holes again if need be, and you're back to the drill
press for the next batch of bushings.

While I'm not altogether convinced there would be any significant
performance benefit to Delignit plugs over trimmed hardwood dowels, I don't
see any reason not to give it a try either and find out.

Ron N