Big Bushings/Cy's question

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:16:24 -0700

Cy,
Your query: "Well, Joe, now I'm scratching my head.  If plate bushings done
right have
the same feel and effect as an open block, then what benefit do you get from
having them?

--Cy Shuster--
Hmmm? I think you answered your own question. But, I'll give it another
shot. Most technicians love to tune "open pin block pianos" because the coil
is close to the pin block surface, which cuts down on "flag-poling",
considerably! The "pin feel" on "open faced pianos" is very controllable.
With the bushings accomplishing the same feel/effect, you now have a piano
with more control, in the tuning process and a better "feel". Of course,
this is all dependent on how well you have done this fitting of the tuning
pin w/in the plate bushing. And, how well you have fit the bushings in the
plate web. Get it?<G>
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I