Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:07:52 -0500

I mounted a 25 watt rod in the same place and it was not enough for the
climate here. The piano is in a church and is kept closed with a floor
length cover. A second rod seemed to do the trick, but they have not called
me back. Hmmmm.

Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of DCrpt@comcast.net
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 7:35 PM
To: davidlovepianos@earthlink.net; Pianotech
Subject: Re: Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

      I was trained in Dampp Chaser installation by Wendall Eaton.(Well
known
consultant and Dampp Chaser distributer back in the 80's).He taught me to
cure
sluggish keys and action centers in a grand by mounting a 7-F (15 watt)on
the
underside of the keybed just in front of the top of the pedal lyre and of
course connected to a humidistat.I have done this on many installations(most
all with complete systems)and have not seen any problems in over twenty
years.The principle of heat rising through the key bed helps keep the keys
and
action dry with out heating the pinblock.I have found it also stabilizes
Stienway key frames so the glides stay regulated.
       I will add that it is an absolute no no to put a rod of any wattage
inside the action cavity.                          Robin Olson  RPT  Wash DC
        P.S. for some reason my e-mail server does not include my return
adress on replies to the ptg list.Sorry if that bothers any of you.
> I don't know what's so complicated about this.  If you treat the centers
> when the humidity is high, then when the humidity drops they will be too
> loose, if you treat the centers when the humidity is low, then when the
> humidity is high they will be too tight.  If you address the centers when
> the humidity is medium, then when the humidity is high they will be tight
> and when it is low, they will be too loose.  This is know as the
Goldilocks