Spliting Heads

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 08:06:40 -0400

Jeff,

My method is not recommended for fine pianos, but when I've come across
this problem it's either been in the cheap or almost worn out stuff, so
I'm OK with it.

I use the thick CA (crazy) glue and accelerator from Dryburgh adhesive
(1-800-GLUEALL).  Ed Dryburgh is an RPT.  I squeeze some glue on the
felt or the molding, whichever is easier, push it together with my
fingers so glue is on both surfaces, then let it spring apart, hit it
with a shot of accelerator and *immediately* press it back together
again and hold it until it sets, usually 15-20 seconds.  You need strong
hands to do this, and you have to get the pieces lined up right the
first time, and quickly.  Maybe this is a method for those who are
willing to live dangerously.

Yes, after doing this I have had the other side of the felt pull loose,
although not usually.  In that case you repeat the process.  It's the
fastest way I know, and no other clamps are needed.  Your fingers may
not be strong enough for some of the low bass hammers; in that case you
need to figure out something else.  And keep the glue off your fingers,
or you're in for even more problems.  It's not much fun being glued to
the piano.

Regards,
Clyde