Laminate Gluing Pressure

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 22:26:49 +1000

>>We could use a higher vacuum to glue the panel to the ribs, but the
>>higher the vacuum the greater the risk of distorting the panel down
>>between the ribs.
>
>At what price? If the jig holding the possibly not perfectly
>thicknesses and contoured ribs failed to position the ribs such that
>the contours of the crowns of consecutive ribs weren't contiguous
>(projective??) across the entire under surface of the panel being
>formed over them, wouldn't some allowable distortion of the panel
>allow compliance of the panel to the rib contours since this
>assembly method doesn't allow compliance of the ribs to the panel?

Certainly, there needs to be some capability of the panel to follow
the contour of ribs which may not necessarily form a perfectly even
contour map. However, if the applied force is such that it bends the
panel to form a trough between adjacent ribs, then there is some risk
that the ribs may be glued to the panel at the rib edges only.

>  Something has to meet something half way when the parts being
>assembled are less than perfect - as will be the case in real
>production, and if this allowance isn't built into the assembly
>method, it isn't going to happen.

Absolutely, and there will be a gluing pressure which forces the
panel into meeting with aberrant ribs without pulling the panel way
out of shape. We are endeavoring to cook the cake, not burn it to a
cinder.

Best,
Ron O.
--