String deflection angle (was Re: Help We Do Not Need)

Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:39:52 +0200

Dels right enough as far as it goes... but 10 to 12 degrees will nearly always
insure the no buzz situation, and I've never seen it to be too much too cause a
problem for other concerns. But when you first get into the idea that the thing
should leave the string up to the tuning pin paralell with the pin block...
that doesnt always work either. I've seen pianos where if you did that you'd
either have a 20 + degree string deflect, or you'd have a tuning pin hanging
half way out of the pin block. And the opposite can be true as well..

I'm take the position that the primary function is to terminate the string
solidly enough yield a clean sounding string. Any less then that is too little,
and any more is too much. If there is a problem with the length leading up to
the pins.. it can be dealt with without bringing pressure bar deflection into
the picture.

Cheers
RicB