SW curve calculator

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Wed, 27 Aug 2003 23:20:54 -0400

At 7:55 PM -0400 8/27/03, Mark Davidson wrote:
>The nice thing is you only have to enter 4 values, for notes 1, 30, 59 and 88.
>  It calculates a smooth curve (Bezier curve) for the rest.

Very nice, Mark. For about ten years now, I've been using a charting
app (http://www.redrocksw.com/deltagraph/), which offers statistical
curve fitting for the data points. The curve I've used has been a
polynomial one (up to ten degrees, for increasingly local ripples in
the general curve), although, like yours, it is drawn as a Bezier
curve.

It's roundabout, though. I have to create the curve fit on the data
set, then copy the curve's formula, edit it, and paste it as the
function creating a new data set (the y-values where the x-values hit
the curve). I'd always dreamed it was possible to do this in Excel,
but didn't have the math to do it.

My hat's off to you.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Talking about music is like dancing about architecture"
     ...........Steve Martin