Compression Question

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 16:55:33 +0200

I see you are two steps ahead of me in one direction here Ron. And of course I
agree that I have seen this in pianos, and thats half of why I asked. The other
half is that I'm still trying to get ahold of exactly how this shrinking and
expanding works.... especially in the face of a compressioned peice of wood.
Something about the fact that a panel having assumed a certain set of
dimensions at a given EMC tells me that it shouldnt be able to get smaller then
those same dimensions at that same EMC.

Ok... so compressing the panel as described doesnt stop a panel from shrinking
as its moisture content drops... tho it does to some degree inhibit that
shrinking capacity. I suppose this means that the cells would be even tighter
pulled together as origionally they were when first dried out to the same EMC.
I guess its this last that causes my present head scratching.

RicB