Dampp Chaser and Grand Action

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:13:06 -0700

As Bill pointed out, it's the front to back placement of the plate, not the
height, that determines the capstan position.  The farther in that they set
the plate, the farther the capstan goes with it.  Actions are fit to the
belly with the keyframe in a fixed position by determining the strike point
and with the hammers glued on at a fixed 130 mm.  The capstan is set also
at a specific position with respect to the center of the wippen cushion.
This causes a variation in key ratio.  You know the rest.

On the other issue, (and response to Terry as well) the Kawai did not have
the same problems with changes in friction.  I frequently find that new
Steinway parts do not do well with humidity swings (Renner has the same
problem).  I encounter sticking jacks, hammer and damper flange problems on
new NY Steinways all the time.  Interestingly, these problems do not seem
to appear in the showroom (air conditioned to compensate for lots of hot
lights, i.e. low humidity), but occur frequently once the piano is moved
out to the customers home where humidity (at least in this area) is always
much higher.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

which the capstan is located too far back and the ratio is just too high
producing a very heavy feeling action."

> This thingy about plate height being the determinant for capstan
placement has been vaguely put up a few times in the past couple years and
I have yet to get a finger on exactly how that works out. Just what, step
by step proceedure do factories use to get from <<plate height>> (over
keybed ?) to capstan placement ?

> Detailed explanation would be reallllly appreciated. Goes to some of
Stanwoods proceedures, some of Baldersins (and others) criticisms of those,
and represents one of those "far to many" holes in my own knowledge.