Overs laminated soundboard

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:06:09 -0700

----- Original Message -----=20
From: "Phillip Ford" <fordpiano@earthlink.net>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: August 27, 2003 11:36 AM
Subject: Re: Overs laminated soundboard

But in ordinary plywood they try for very thin layers and lots of them, =
presumably to prevent much movement of the panel even with changing =
humidity.  And I thought part of the reason for preventing movement =
(aside from dimensional stability) was to prevent breaking down the glue =
joints.  I wonder if there is any long term danger to the glue joints =
with 3 layers 2.5 mm each.

In part.  Thin layers are used to prevent fiber damage from compression =
and tension as the panel is exposed to varying climate conditions. When =
kept thin enough wood doesn't develop the kind of compression damage =
that it does in thicker sections.=20

No, I don't know what the limits are.

>=20
> Perhaps if laminated panels in pianos became common enough suppliers =
would start making them in quantity.  One could buy a laminated panel =
just as one can currently buy a solid panel.

We can hope....

Del