Compression Question

Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:35:26 +0200

Ok... and I just want some clarification here..

Is there some dissagreement in your two positions, or is the seeming difference
of positions here due to the fact that the equilibrium I precondition can not
actually happen (as per the rest of Dels reply) ?

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:

> That is, if a unrestrained 1500 mm wide panel (at 4% MC) is taken to 13% it
> will probably end up being somewhere between 1520 and 1530 mm wide (at 13%
> MC). So, if you restrain this expansion to 1500 mm and let compression set
> work its magic for a few years and then take it back to 4% MC it will end
> up somewhere between 1470 and 1480 mm wide.

Ron N writes

You've seen the answer to this question in a lot of pianos. It will shrink,
but not nearly as much as an un-crushed panel would.....

Otherwise, I think I have understood basically what I was asking about. Thanks
muchly

--
Richard Brekne
RPT, N.P.T.F.