Titebond extend gluing times.

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 09:51:29 +1000

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone has already had experience using both
Titebond Regular and Titebond Extend?

I have been using our new vacuum press for some weeks now, building
sound board test samples of one rib with a strip of sound board panel
attached. So far I've been using Titebond Regular since I've only
been gluing one rib at a time. We are applying the glue with a short
knap paint roller, and I've learned to apply just the right amount so
that we achieve a good glue joint without having any squeeze-out.
This is important when using a vacuum press since there is no
opportunity to wipe away excess glue until the job is taken off the
press, by which time is too late.

When using Titebond regular, samples can be taken out of the press in
40 mins. While I will test times with Extend, I thought someone might
already have an idea just how much longer Extend takes to set, to
help me get started with this glue. In addition to its ability to
allow longer set up times, Extend is a bit stronger than Regular.

After many weeks of testing, I seem to be honing in on a totally new
sound board design. While I can tell you that we will be using a
laminated panel and the ribs are fully machine crowned, I can't
reveal anything further on the design just yet, I'll release details
as soon as we are able.

Best,
Ron O.
--