Steinway M Selling & $

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:20:16 -0400

At 6:49 PM -0400 8/29/03, Farrell wrote:
>So, two questions: Anyone care to venture an opinion on the piano's
>value (midwest prices)?

That must be the midwest Tampa metro region, right? I thought you
lived down on the southern proboscis, not up by the Windy City.

>And, has anyone any experience with this type of service? What might
>be a reasonable selling fee or percentage for such a service?

The common commission up here is 5%. But that's not taking into
account whether the piano is being moved onto your floor. In that
case the local Steinway agency's consignment fee of 25% might be more
appropriate, considering it's going to take up your floor space, and
you ave to keep your place presentable for how many ever months
(years?) it may take to sell it.

There is a significant question of where to sell it, your place or
his parents'. His parents' house may be up for sale, and real estate
agents love to have a grand piano in the living room, for "ambience".
You may prefer to sell out of that house instead of your shop,
assuming you and the son can come up with a reasonable arrangement
for getting in to show it to your customers. That may involve the
local representative of the estate executor, say a lawyer, or the
real estate agent involved may be authorized to do this for you. If
access becomes too much a hassle, that's when everyone turns to you
and says, "sell it out of your own place".

>I'm really not up on Steinway values, but I would guess that one
>could get at least $10K or it and maybe as much as $20K (maybe that
>is a bit ridiculous?)?????

Given your description ( and assuming you do all the necessary
preparations), I'd ask $20K. But that's hte asking price. For more
research on asking prices, go check out <http:www.pianomart.com>,
noting especially the geographical locations and descriptions of
condition. But that's asking prices. Selling prices are something
else. Barring extreme good fortune (which I happened to experience
this winter), selling prices are inversely proportional to the length
of time it takes to sell. Have an honest talk with the  owner as to
how long he can afford to wait for the selling price he's dreaming
of. Given that it's in probate anyway, you've easily got an 1.5 year
window.

>What would be the wholesale value of this piano?

Check with your local large retailers and rebuilders, but until they
sense they're in a bidding situation, you not likely to get anything
but low-balls from them.

>Thanks for any insight on these questions.

I expect you'll be hearing from Jolly Jim Beau pretty quick. You've
already incurred my 1% consulting fee.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"You'll make more money selling my advice than following it"
     ...........Steve Forbes, quoting his father, Malcom