Compression Question

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 12:35:10 -0400

At 8:49 AM -0700 8/30/03, Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
>I wasn't referring to film thickness. I was referring to the effectiveness
>of various materials as vapor barriers. Each panel was coated with the same
>number of coats of finish and tested for rate of shrinkage and expansion.

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but......is there a direct
correlation between permeability and stiffness. And in this, is there
not a trade-off between how well the finish operates as a vapor
barrier, and the nature of its sound-carrying ability? In this case
because of increased stiffness, resulting in a board which takes the
string's energy and delivers a longer but quieter tone, rather than a
shorter but louder tone. You did say quiet clearly BTW that the same
number of coats of different materials yielded no significant
differences in permeability, which may moot this question.

This matter of choice of finishing materials is well beyond my
situation of an under-two-year-old board with compression damage.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.