Yamaha gold?

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:00:37 EDT

Dale asks:
<< Is it that ther being sold thru Scaff
these days as opposed to, in the olden days buying direct thru Yamaha .

   it was Yamaha that quoted me the $1100 price.

>>I used
to be able to buyYamaha shanks for I think 85$ bucks and the whole thing
mounted for less than300.00. Ok it was a while back but still. <<

Umm, yes, I used to buy gas for $.36 a gallon........

>>What do the hammers
separately cost or is it not worth doing it that way? >>

Yamaha tells me that they no longer sell just the hammers.  You have to buy
them pre-hung!  This may make sense when the shanks are worn out at the same
time as the hammers, but when you are doing a lot of voicing to keep the pianos
from sounding like glass, the hammers will wear out before the shanks and
knuckles.  I will remember this the next time a school purchases  40  new pianos
at once on my recomendation. (maybe make the sale contingent on including 20
sets of hammers to go along with them?)
Regards,
 Ed Foote RPT
www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/