Tone it down, please.

Kevin E. Ramsey kevin.e.ramsey@cox.net
Fri, 5 Dec 2003 18:19:15 -0700

MessageAlan, yes they do respond to needles.=20

    I too prefer to use the needles rather than liquids, unless I'm =
totally up against a wall.  Needling deep down on the shoulder and sides =
of the hammer, and I'm talking about 3:00 and 9:00, will help bring out =
more sustain, but it doesn't really help with the sharp pingy attack on =
these Asian hammers.  I usually do some deep needling on the shoulders =
up to about C6.  Here's something for you to try, if you aren't familiar =
with this; put your single needle in at the end of the string mark, or =
groove if there is one. Position the needle straight down, parallel with =
the molding. Put a needle in the end of each string mark, just on the =
front side, slide the action back in and listen. If it didn't do enough, =
try putting needles in between the string marks too. If that didn't do =
enough, do the same on the back side of the hammer. Usually that's all =
that's really needed, but you can also start to "cross-stitch", angling =
the needles more into the area under the strike point, if necessary. You =
probably already know all this, but some newbie could also be reading =
this, so I thought I'd go ahead and spell it out.  =20
    Yes, they respond.

Kevin.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Alan=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, December 05, 2003 11:36 AM
  Subject: Tone it down, please.

  Don't see many Korean pianos here in the Ozarks.

  Church has an SG-172 small Samick grand that is extremely bright to =
the point of sounding harsh.

  The pianist tends to play with the una corda pedal depressed to "tone =
it down." They even asked if "fixing this problem" would be covered =
under warranty!

  Do these pianos respond appreciably to to needle voicing?

  Please post recommendations based on experience, I'd sure appreciate =
it!

  Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, Happy Kwanza, or Bah Humbug (Choose =
one).

  Alan R. Barnard
  Salem, MO

  ---