Stripping the plate

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sat, 6 Dec 2003 08:28:50 -0600

Hi Phil.

Procedure developed by other highly skilled re-whateverers, and gratefully copied by me.

1.  Don't Strip it!!!!  Unless the finish is incompatible with your gold lacquer.  Test with a drop or two of the lacquer thinner, or the lacquer itself, to make sure its not going to wrinkle the old finish.  Test both the primer and the topcoat material.
2.  Wash with TSP or modern ecologically acceptable substitute, toothbrush, scotchbrite.
3.  Wet sand with 3m sanding sponges, medium and fine.
4.  Fill dings and scratches with Bondo.
5.  Wet sand with 3m sanding sponges, fine and extra fine.
6. Mask agraffe holes with roofing nails, hitch pins with "condoms" made of short lengths of rubber tubing.
7.Spray primer.
8.  remove nails and condoms, Wet sand with 3m sanding sponges, fine and extra fine.
9.  re-Mask and Gild.

hope this helps

Mike
----- Original Message -----
From: Phil Bondi
To: Newtonville
Sent: 12/6/2003 8:06:48 AM
Subject: Stripping the plate

I have 2 grands in the shop needing various types of work..both are mine and I have desire to experiment with suggestions from the class..
Both of these plates are going to be re-guilded..but I want to find out what the rest of you experienced re-whateverers do to get the plate ready for guilding.
-Phil Bondi(FL)
phil@philbondi.com