tooling up for soundboard replacement

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Mon, 08 Dec 2003 18:06:02 -0500

Carl Meyer wrote:

> I had one tech insist that you absotively posolutely had to have the
> "acoustic dowels" in place so he still removes the plate 97 times to get
> everything right.  Oh, well.

Carl,

I don't see why it would take 97 tries to fit the dowels. It is actually
the fastest way to do it, takes less than an hour and doesn't require
installing the plate over and over. In an entire rebuilding job
including a new pinblock and soundboard I install the plate less than 12
times.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin