[Files] Stupid Flange Tricks (Modified by Kent Swafford)

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Tue, 9 Dec 2003 21:00:53 -0600

Sheesh. Ya try to write a rant with a little over-the-top-humor and end
up having to defend yourself .... well, okay, here's the story:

Attached picture shows "good" flange and broken flange.

My whining was really NOT aimed at anyone personally. But this
design—on casual inspection by ANYONE—would appear dopey, incredibly
weak.

When I wrote it, I had just come from the home of a nice young couple
with limited income (she's in a wheelchair, he works as a prison guard)
who had bought a very nice used Baldwin for their three kids to learn
on. They bought it from a lady who never much played it, apparently,
because it is ten years old and there are almost NO grooves on the
hammers, just black marks from the strings (manufacturing oil, I
suppose).

Anyway, It was about 120 cents flat. In starting to do the pitch
correction, I hit A0 and heard the most interesting rattle and
confusion of bass sounds. I looked at the dampers and found that eleven
(count that: 11) of the dampers weren't working--no springs! I removed
the action and found that those idiotic little flanges had itty-bitty
projections molded into them to hold the center coil of the spring. I
mean thin and tiny and barely long enough for the coil.

Now they must pay to replace all the damper flange/spring assemblies
with good ol' Schaff 514W's in hard rock maple.

I'm not opposed to plastic, per se, and, having been owner of several
businesses over the years, I can certainly appreciate the need to watch
costs, etc. But NOT when your reputation is at stake. Also, why screw
up a good thing? After all, we've all made a living tuning pianos with
flanges that have held up for 50 to a hundred years, or more.

And, yes, I've made a lot of money on Baldwin pianos, too. Their basic
designs can't be unduly faulted. And these flanges must have been
a very short-run experiment because I've never seen them before ... and
frankly hope I never do, again.   <G>

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

P.S. For those who suggested using repair springs on the old flanges.
Nah. With so many broken (despite a distinct lack of hard use!)one can
only project more trouble down the line with expenses and "downtime"
every so often.

Photo at:

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/a9/cb/93/9b/
BaldwinsFolly.JPG