touch weight changes

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:22:08 +0100

Farrell wrote:

> I need to tread this water carefully because I am aware that I am no
> expert on this subject. But most responses to this question have
> included suggestions regarding changes to key leading or action
> geometry. I would suggest that if DW was a "pretty even 52 grams" and
> then "two weeks later, the weight was back over 60 grams" the solution
> will be found in regulating friction. The source of such DW changes
> necessarily excludes issues of key leading and/or action geometry -
> unless, of course, these factors are changing over the course of two
> weeks. Terry Farrell -

Terry, since we have no UW measurements to compare with DW, we dont
really know just whats happening. Admitedly friction is a reasonable
first guess when all we have is the information above, but actions are
strange things. If seen this kind of thing as well, and found on a few
occasions that friction levels were normal with the high DW reading, and
bringing downweight down 10 grams brought friction levels to lower then
acceptable levels. I've also found on occasion that you can run into the
situation where friction control from a << lube job>> perspective is not
stable and friction will rise to origional levels again rather quickly.

Unless we know what the friction levels actually are, we are better off
asscertaining them then shooting in the dark. I think I know you well
enough to know that if this was your action sitting in your shop...
you'd start double checking exactly these kinds of things before
spraying Mclube all over the place :) This lack of data is  why some of
us raise the possiblity of weight or ratio concerns being in the
picture. Ergo, David Love, and myself both asked for more information in
order to better address the question.

M' pappy used to say... the easy way is always the hard way.

Cheers
RicB
--
Richard Brekne