yam P22 help

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@cox.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:01:57 -0600

>Check crown and bearing. It probably has little to none of either. Having a
>notch in the bridge at the strut also doesn't help matters much. Better
>with high humidity, worse with low. It's pretty classic.
><end>
>
>So, assuming this is what I find, what's next?  Fairy dust, quick blessing
>and run, landfill?

Crappie shelter. Just as well get some long term benefit from the carcass.

>No, really..... soundboard springs, backside bridge reinforcement,....?????
>It's in a school, so they'd probably opt to replace, rather than sink a
>bunch of money into it.
>
>anotherRon

First, I'd explain to them what the situation is, and issue the full
compliment of disclaimers regarding expectations of resurrecting a dead
soundboard that they expected to be immortal as long as they couldn't see a
crack. Then I'd quiz them to make sure they've got the gist of the problem.
This is the hardest part of the attempted fix. I'd try backside bridge
reinforcement as a first pass, fitting 3/4 maple between the ribs along the
bridge line, making them a couple of inches wide to add some mass as well
as (hopefully) stiffness. Drill holes through the back posts as necessary
for access to drive the screws through the maple block, through the
soundboard, and into the bridge. This isn't going to do anything for crown
and bearing, but it might add enough stiffness and mass to get you in range
of the summer sound in winter, which should be enough of a miracle for
anyone. If that doesn't work, I'd issue a disclaimer booster shot and quiz
and try the springs, probably experimenting with some brass weights on the
backside of the bridge too, depending on what I heard.

If the piano can be made acceptable to them by doing any of this stuff,
issue yet another disclaimer booster with the phrase "reanimation of the
dead" somewhere in there to make the point, and take note of how it does
through the winter, how it reacts to the Summer seasonal change, and more
important, how it sounds next winter. If the problem is back next winter,
it's crappie shelter time, live with it, or replace the board.

Meanwhile, go to your local Yamaha dealer when it's cold and the store
humidity is low, and whack on the new P22s in and around the killer octave.
They could all use some reinforcement there where the bridge is notched
around the strut.

Ron N