interesting wood article

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:47:12 -0800 (PST)

Heard a glass violin on the news last night. $50,000.
Sounded like garbage.
     I do believe that anyone with common perceptivity
realizes that piano soundboards work BOTH as waving
diaphragms, AND resonant bodies. And this, in
combination with the resonant/transmittant aspects of
the case, creates the distinctions in tone betwixt one
piano and the next.
     We can "fiddle" around with this factor or that
in attempts to bend the tone as we desire, but I do
not believe that such a  complex system will EVER lend
itself to complete analysis by computaional method.
     And, frankly: "So what?"
     Thungeeeeeeeeeeeeee
     ( Mason bass )

--- Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>