Smoky piano

Richard Strang rstrang@pa.inter.net
Thu, 11 Dec 2003 19:09:12 -0500

Hi, Bill,
   When I went to a Randy Potter piano seminar in Minnesota a few years ago,
I met a fellow by the name  of Dave Swartz whose specialty was deodorizing
smoke damaged pianos. He had pianos shipped in to his shop from all over the
country for treatment. Unfortunately, the last I heard, he closed his shop
and now only tunes. It may be worth a try to contact him for ideas, though.
The number I have for him is 612-432-5232. If that number is not good
anymore, you may try contacting him through Randy Potter. Tel: 503-382-5411,
email: rpotter@bendcable.com. Put QS in the subject line or your email will
be deemed spam. Hope that helps. I think getting the smoke out of a piano is
a BIG job, though. Good luck.

Richard Strang
Rep. of Panama

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Bill Yick
Sent: Thursday, December 11, 2003 12:44 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Smoky piano

I had a call a few days ago for a cost estimate on a
piano that has been near a fire and is very "smoky". I
haven't seen it yet, and it may have some water damage
also.

What is normally done for smoke oder? Place an ionizer
near it for a period of time? Wipe it down with
Pine-sol? I am short on ideas. Of course, when I go to
see it, I will know more. Any help would be
appreciated.

Bill Yick, Rpt