Adjusting wippen assist springs

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 00:07:26 -0500

Dear List,

Great Thread! It seems as though each successive pass on these great
subjects, find us better focused on the heart of the matter.

Please stop me if you've heard this one before, but it seems to me
that what helper springs do in reducing the perceived weight on the
cap, is to reduce the total load of the top action on the cap (Top
Action Weight or TAW).  The interesting part is that what's being
reduced is the force of gravity encountered by the TAW, while the
inertial response of the TAW (principally SW) is unaffected by the
work of the springs.

As is with BW and FW and any of the other static measurements, TAW
can only measure the point at which the gravitational force (weight)
of action parts (as modulated by action ratio) is overcome by a
counterbalancing force at the key front. It reports gravitational
force, but cannot read inertial force.

So once again we are discussing a point in setting up an action where
gravitational force is clearly altered (to our specs, hopefully), but
where the effect on inertial response can only be vaguely assumed at.

But I'm still betting a six-pack of sassparilla that because the
helper spring accomplishes all its magic without changing the weight
of the parts (well, alright, the weight of the spring minus the
weight of the millings), inertial response is unaffected.

IMHO

Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I'll play it and tell you what it is later...."
     ...........Miles Davis