Adjusting wippen assist springs

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 01:25:55 -0500

Hi Mark,

I agree with your napkin sketch, but this brings into question the =
psychophysical concept of a "just noticeable difference" (JND) -- the =
magnitude of difference that can just be detected by a human observer.  =
I am not very well versed in somatosensory (touch) characteristics =
(being an auditory person), but JNDs are typically on the order of 1/256 =
of the stimulus magnitude -- not *exactly* 256, of course.  However, the =
8-bit word worked out well for encoding things such as brightness, as =
1/256 is about a JND for brightness.

This leads to your napkintop example.  Would a 1 percentish change in =
inertia be noticeable?  Probably, yes.  Would it be very significant?  =
Probably not. =20

Would a 3% change (15 g off of BW, from 30 g of leading at a halfway =
point) be noticeable?  Yes.  Would it matter?  Yes, it would likely give =
the pianist some edge.  There are certainly pianists who like the spring =
assist for *some* reason.  At the very least, they notice the difference =
in the way the piano plays.

Now many pianos that are balanced in the traditional manner.  Some key =
leading is located way out on the front end of the keystick.  Now the =
key lead inertia becomes even more significant -- 6% of total inertia to =
achieve 15 g off of balance weight.  More of an edge.

But using the halfway-point leading, consider the leading consequence of =
adding a gram to the hammer and 12 g of leading to the halfway point on =
the keystick to compensate for the additional BW.  NOW we're talking =
about a 10% ratio of additional key inertia to additional hammer =
inertia, which is becoming more significant still.

Does 10% matter?  Does 5% matter?  Well, does a pianist notice BW =
inconsistencies of 2 or 4 or 5 g between keys during soft playing?  =
That's roughly the same degree of difference.  It would probably take a =
more advanced pianist to care, granted.

Even so, your napkintop sketch is very illuminating.  I frankly hadn't =
expected the ratio to be that high!

Peace,
Sarah

 =20