Adjusting wippen assist springs

Mark Davidson mark.davidson@mindspring.com
Sat, 13 Dec 2003 07:02:36 -0500

>RicB wrote:

>But ok... assuming we're all on the same page, and I'm out to lunch again... then I guess what you are both saying is that given 2
actions one >counterbalanced with lead to a 40 gram balance weight, and the other lead free with a resulting 60 gram balance
weight... that the 60 gram >action will play lighter as long as you are accelerating the keys past the 9.8 m/s^2 mark.

Not quite what I meant.  I think the assumption was that you replaced some lead with an assist spring. "Same force" implies you
replace the force provided by the keylead with force provided by a spring.  So you have the same BW, but less mass in the key.  The
case you give above I would expect the 40g action to be lighter in soft playing and the 60g action to feel lighter in loud playing.
With an assist spring to change the 60g action to a 40g one I would expect the sprung action to feel lighter at all levels.

-Mark