touch weight changes

Sat, 13 Dec 2003 17:08:12 +0100

Carol.

One thing that seemed obvious for me from the first minute I bumped into
Stanwoods stuff was that this material was worth reading, worth getting familiar
with and worth using. I know its incomplete in some regards, I know it looks
away from issues like action compliance and other things... and I know that
there are some formal justifications for its viability lacking..... but it does
what it says it does perfectly well. In simplest conception that means achieving
a static balance with an unprecedented degree of evenly distribution of mass in
both keys and effective hammer weights. It also provides a system of terms and
quantities that are usefull in further exploring touchweight and general touch
related concerns, as I think most of the recent discussions on touchweight these
past couple years display very well.

Where ever all this takes us... it would seem to me that the New Touchweight
Metrology, and the Balance Equation should be adopted by all of us and until
something better is put forward made an official part of required RPT
certification knowledge. The alternative is continued use of simple DW by so
many to assess action performance... and the rather limited usage of BW and
Friction quantities as stand alones.

Go for it... Learn Stanwood...  and dont stop there. I doubt seriously you will
regret it.

Cheers
RicB