J. Strauss & Sons

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 14:05:23 -0500

After convincing my customer that their Wurly spinet was an impediment
to their talented son's pianistic progress, they proceeded (early
summer) to the This Weekend Only sale at a local Sheraton where East
Coast Piano sold them a J Strauss & Sons upright (48" I think, model #
NU-32). While a rather good knock-off of a U-1 by some Chinese company,
it is suffering from seizing action centers. I'm not sure whether it's
center pin plating problems, or more a matter of wood/felt instability
(poor humidity control in the manuf process, plus a wildly hot & humid
summer up here in the Northeast). Oh, and the dampers are quite noisy
-- the spoon to damper lift contact!
Anyway -- anyone have much experience with "J Strauss" -- are the manuf
proactive in correcting these problems, or are they of the "caveat
emptor babe" mindset? Likewise, anyone find East Coast (I believe of
NJ) reasonable to deal with over these matters? While I would expect a
Kawai or Yamaha to authorize wholesale action repinning, spoon &/or
damper lever felt replacement -- or even more likely swap a problematic
piano like this out with a replacement -- I'm a bit pessimistic that
East Coast/Strauss are quite that sensitive to customer satisfaction.
Any thoughts (beyond the obvious "Hey Pat give them a phone call first
thing on Monday!"?
Patrick