Concert Tuning

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 14 Dec 2003 16:55:32 -0500

Hello Listees,

Did one of my rather infrequent concert tunings today (dude called me =
yesterday). Anyone ever heard of a christian rock band (I assume it's =
rock-type stuff) called Jars of Clay? I had not.

These dudes had some serious equipment on stage - place was a large =
church - but their equipment looked more appropriate for a stadium. =
Anyway, the piano. About a 1958 Sorry & Cluck console. I'll bet any one =
of the 37 guitars on stage cost many, many times what that piano might =
be worth. And the piano was Ok shape generally, but had a real bad =
killer octave and about a dozen strings that sounded like they belonged =
on some other type of instrument. Why is it these poor-performing pianos =
persist in environments where it is obvious the funds are available for =
something that plays and sounds OK?

Piano was 5 to 20 cents sharp. I was there at 2 pm as requested with =
sound check scheduled at 3 pm. I am not a fast tuner. I turned one pin =
on each string in the tenor and treble about twice as flat as the set =
was sharp and then tuned. Finished in 55 minutes and then had about 10 =
minutes to clean up unisons. That is about as fast as I have ever tuned =
a piano where a pitch change was needed. I sounded about as good as it =
would likely get even with quite a bit more time/effort. Fortunately the =
piano player seemed to be a fairly laid-back type and made some =
statement indicating that he was cognizant of the time constraints.

Then sound check. Geeeezzzz. I wonder how smart I am when once in a =
while I crank up my stereo in the car. People were sitting in the =
audience during sound check stuff. I had to get out of there - It was =
louder than Led Zepplin and The Who put together.

Just felt like belly-aching a bit. Anyone ever hear of that band? I =
guess I am assuming they were christian rock?

Oh, and BTW, just curious, anyone care to share what they might commonly =
charge for a concert tuning - on short notice - given only a one-hour =
window of time - on a Sunday afternoon? I was just going to charge =
(normal tuning fee) X 2, but I can easily imagine justifying additional =
fees for the timing of it all, etc.

Thanks

Terry Farrell